A BEATLES' HARD-DIE'S SITE

Beatles Landmarks

This image shows St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool where John Lennon and Paul McCartney first met. This gallery documents Liverpool locations which feature in the history of The Beatles and some of their famous works.

This image shows the school which now stands on the field where John Lennon and The Quarrymen performed at St Peter's Church garden fete on 6th July 1957. Paul McCartney watched the performance from the crowd.

This image shows the gravestone of Eleanor Rigby at St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool. Although McCartney has claimed other sources in writing the song, it is assumed that this stone inspired the main character in the classic lyric.

St Peter's Church Hall in Woolton, Liverpool. This was the site of the historic first meeting of Lennon and McCartney on Sat 6th July 1957. McCartney was introduced to Lennon whilst The Quarrymen were preparing for an evening performance.

20 Forthlin Road is the teenage home of Paul McCartney located in Allerton, Liverpool. It is a National Trust property open to the public and the place where Lennon and McCartney composed and rehearsed their earliest work.

John Lennon spent his first five years at 9 Newcastle Road located two blocks from Penny Lane in Liverpool. This was the family home of his mother, Julia Stanley. John was later moved to Mendips in Woolton, Liverpool.

Mendips is a semi-detached property on Menlove Avenue in Woolton, Liverpool where John Lennon was raised by his Aunt Mimi. It is now a National Trust property open to the public. The Beatles' hit She Loves You was written in its front living room.

Strawberry Field was a Salvation Army orphanage in Woolton, Liverpool, founded in 1936. It was made famous in 1967 by the Beatles. John Lennon played in the grounds as a schoolboy with his friends. Fans visit the famous red gates daily to pay homage.

Penny Lane was immortalised by the Beatles in their legendary 1967 double A-side single. The street is part of a busy shopping area at the junction of Allerton Road and Smithdown Road in Liverpool. Penny Lane was named after slave-trader James Penny

The 'shelter in the middle of a roundabout' from the lyric of Penny Lane refers to the Penny Lane Bus Terminus. The shelter was located officially on Smithdown Place and later became a cafe/restaurant with a Beatles theme.

Pictured is the fire station mentioned in the Beatles' song Penny Lane. The station is not located at Penny Lane junction but near to where Mather Avenue meets Rose Lane. The song references numerous other landmarks in the area.

No comments: